We offer one standard academic course for international students which is then adapted and modified, depending on the age and ability of students. It combines 20 hours of academic English and cross-curriuclar primary subject tuition with 5 hours of specialist sports lessons. International children mix with native British children to enable the best opportunities to use and improve their English, in particular vocabulary and accent.
Subjects offered include geography, science, music, sport, British studies, drama, environmental science, computer and art & design. Lessons are taught by experienced native speaking teachers and include a range of teaching techniques, such as interactive activities, group work, pair work, use of ICT, role play and project work. This aims to build on the students’ speaking, listening, reading and writing skills in a fun and interactive way. The academic course also incorporates a range of exciting field trips that compliment and build upon the topics studied in the classroom. Our experience and our commitment to working with children in small groups means that you can rest assured that you child will receive the highest teaching and care while they stay in England.
Our teachers are all both primary and EFL trained specialists with significant teaching experience between them. The pastoral staff are led by a fully qualified matron and are all highly experienced in working in a boarding environment with young children. Unlike other summer schools, we do not recruit young or inexperienced pastoral staff because we want each child to receive the highest level of pastoral care at all times. The course is fully inclusive and includes a busy social timetable during evenings and weekends. Included in the course fees are:
- 20 hours of academic English and cross-curricular primary subjects per week on the ACADEMIC PROGRAMME or 15 hours of academic English and cross curricular primary subjects plus afternoon activities on the STUDY TOURS PROGRAMME.
- 5 hours of specialists sports lessons;
- Educational excursions during the week;
- Social excursions during the weekends;
- Afternoon activities, trips and additional sport for Study Tours Programme children.
- Accomodation and laundry;
- 24 hour supervision and care of students by experienced and qualified staff;
- Three meals per day, plus snacks;
- Certificate of attendance signed by the Principal;
- Individual academic and pastoral reports, written by students’ teachers;
- course photograph;
- Summer school rucksack;
- Use of text books, dictionaries and stationary during their stay;
- Personalised workbook that will serve as a visual reminder of lessons and topics studies and that will show parents the work that their child has completed.
*We have reduced our prices this year to cover the fact that we do not offer a transfer as standard. Most parents, agents or group leaders wanted to deliver children directly to the summer school and as such did not require a transfer. Therefore we are able to collect children from almost any UK airport for a small charge.
Evening activities will vary and could include any of the following:
- Arts and crafts;
- Use of sports facilities;
- Music sessions;
- Beach games;
- Pamper evening;
- Treasure hunt;
- Local walks;
- DVD Evenings with pop corn;
- Quizzes and discos.
- York – historical, walled castle city with lots of fun attractions and shopping!
- Manchester – lively shopping city and home of Manchester United.
- Scarborough – traditional seaside report with beautiful beaches.
- Flamingo Land – exciting theme park!
- Castle Howard – spectacular English stately home.
- Hadrian’s Wall – stunning remains of the largest Roman structure in the UK.
- North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway – travel through beautiful, British countryside in style!
The summer school prides itself on being tailored to the exact needs of young children, trips and excursions will always be age appropriate, shopping sessions will be matched to the age of the child – we understand that a 6 year olds’ shopping requests are often very different to a 13 year olds! Meals, snacks and evening supper are all focused on the dietary needs of young children.
If you are a Visa National then your child will require entry clearance (a visa) to enter the UK. The visa required is a CHILD VISITOR VISA and we have been advised it can take up to 4 weeks to receive a visa following application. As such early booking is recommended. For further visa information please click here.
Acorn International – a unique, junior English summer school in the north of the UK!
Please use the form below to contact us for more information about pricing, special offers and availability and we will email you right back!